Saturday, February 14, 2015

Trying to Embrace Social Media

I have never been a fan of social media.  This is not because I do not understand the benefits, it is because I do not like people having access to my information.  It is very hard to keep things private these days.  Joining social media can make that more difficult.  However, I am committed to learning and becoming a more integral part of the digital age.  This morning I have joined Twitter, created a Tweetdeck, expanded my knowledge of Google+, and become active on and engaged in a Twitter chat.  Wow. The technology part of my brain is saying "no mas"!  It just takes a little time.  I do not believe teachers have an option to opt out of social media anymore.  Therefore it is imperative to continue to learn and broaden your knowledge and networks.  I plan on doing this by trying to spend at least twenty minutes a day on one of my platforms.  Spending time in the networks is the only way to improve your knowledge and use of the applicationHere are some of examples of my morning.

Tweetdeck and participation in a Twitter chat







             

Starting a Google+ Community



 Creating Circles in Google+


 Joining Communities in Google+


 


Using Feedly to manage blogs



4 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love that you started a Google+ Community for LR School of Education students. We need to get the word out and encourage folks to join.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I lost comms with you on FB. If you still need help re upgrade, you can reach me at tonio at sofi dot org. S/F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger that. Thanks. I'm taking a break from fb. I will definitely contact you. Thanks for your help. My email is william.truett@my.lr.edu and usmcwilll@ gmail.com

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about not being a fan of social media because you do not want people accessing your information. On every social media site I am a member of, I do my best to make it private to only the people I choose to be friends with that have that same social media site as well.

    ReplyDelete